Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cairo

Notice the burned up building right next to the museum.
Our Guard on the left with our guide. Notice the tanks around the museum.
We met our guide, Ahmed Hamed Yousif, and started off to the museum.  He helped guard it during the revolution and protect it from fire. The tourist police also gave us a policeman to travel with us everywhere we went in Cairo. The museum was great. King Tut's stuff was great but the sculptures in the main hall were magnificent and many other thing. The army still has a presence downtown.  We saw small protests at Tahrir Square but mostly media doing interviews.
     Next we were on to the Great Pyramids. When you stand up next to them you notice how really giant they are. We also had to take a camel ride.  They are rather expensive but you just have to do it.  You also have to be very clear about where you think you are going and make sure the boys who guide your camels know. Of course once I was on my camel I was able to pick one up. I got to drive the camel by myself on the way back and get him to trot a little. Not too smooth but fun.
     The Sphinx is a little underwhelming.  Much smaller compared to the pyramids. If it was on its own it might look better.
     Visited Coptic Cairo.  You have to go down a flight of steps because the city has built up so much around it and it is just small alleyways. We went to an old church that supposedly stands on the spot where the Holy Family took shelter when they came to Egypt. It would be fun to think so so I will believe it.
      There are so many old and beautiful parts of the building in the middle of this bustling metropolis (23 million). They have a small subway system but other than that they all depend on the mini-vans.  One of our guides was saying he has to plan on 2 or 3 hours to get anywhere. They all would like to buy cars.  There are a lot of cars from the 80s which you could get for a couple of thousand dollars and (Dan will appreciate this) lots of Ladas from Russia.
     We visited one Mosque (the largest) that I could go into with their cover-up and one that I could just go to the women's side which was not decorated at all and just gave us a small separate area to look at the shrine but we did have to be covered up. Meanwhile Bryan takes off his shoes and gets to go everywhere. I guess I should be happy I am let out of the house.  Some women's husband won't let them go out.
     Bryan asked how they could tell which girls were single and which were married.  Our guide said "The shape".  It was true. All the married ladies look fat. Imagine if you couldn't do anything out of the house but walk around slowly. We would all be getting very big.  I do not envy them their lives.





2 comments:

  1. You are definitely getting me excited for our trip, if Scott will let me out of the house that is! Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so interesting! I love all your background stuff on how the politics are going, and I didn't know you had a police guy! That's crazy.. I love the pictures. I am glad that women can go out of the house too. Also, don't diss the sphynx, it's my favorite. jk. I luv ju.

    ReplyDelete