Monday, October 10, 2011

Biggest Loser - CanyonWoods Style

     So yesterday Diane approached me and said "We're doing a weight-loss competition for 6 weeks. Go weigh yourself at Megyn's today."  This was a tough decision because I know I'm not going to win but I also know that I'm not doing well on my own initiative.  I decided that this would maybe give me the jump start I need to get back on track after a month of vacation. There are 10 of us from the neighborhood.  Some, like me, could stand to lose a few pounds. Others, like Megyn and Jenny, are totally fit already.  I think they just can't step away from a challenge.  It will be interesting to see who wins; someone who has the weight to lose or one of those that we know already has the discipline From the weigh in I could tell that I had been taking it way too easy the last little while but maybe that will help me in the competition since I'm starting off pretty fat.
     To go along with this, some of the men also we're having their own competition.  Bryan was not interested all. I was hoping he would because it is easier to do it together. He did promise to try not to sabotage me by bringing treats home all the time (which he loves to do).
     Also, he was off work today (unfortunately, they are always so slow that he is off work a lot lately-retirement keeps getting further away) so he said he would go on a hike with me to give me a good start.  We looked at the mountains in the east -snowy.  We looked out to the west - we decided to climb Frary Peak on Antelope Island.  It was a good decision.  We didn't get there until 2:30.  The weather was perfect; overcast and about 60*.
     The hike is about 7 miles and you climb around 2,000 feet.  It was pretty hard and Bryan led the way.  He was like a man on a mission.  I didn't keep up but barely.  Up at the top the last 1/2 mile was a little rocky to climb but the view on top was 360 degrees and beautiful. It is fun to be up there with the survey marker from 1892.  Unfortunately, once again, we forgot a camera. (Mia -We need you!)  I will steal someone else's images.
     Up there we could see that there was some rain coming down in places.  We decided we better get going and as we hiked the wind changed directions and we could see that it was raining all over the Wasatch front.  Luckily we never got caught in any storm.  Luckily with the storms the had last week the ground was still a little wet which helped the slipping that you get from the dry ground going down steep hills.  We booked it. Bryan couldn't resist taking a short-cut which he thought would cut off a lot of time.  I jogged down the other way and when I got to where they joined I couldn't even see him.  He was only 1/2 way down. Lesson learned. It is fun to beat him sometimes.
     We were both proud that we did the hike in 3 and 1/2 hours.  On the hike-Utah page they said it would take 4-5 hours.  It is so nice at our age to be above average.
 

2 comments:

  1. This is so great! I need you guys to remember the camera! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for breakfast and a walk. You are a good friend. You CAN win but...I will give you a run for your money!!!

    ReplyDelete