Sunday, September 18, 2011

Hebgen Lake Memories -Part 2


     It wasn’t too long ago that I told my family I foresaw some problems in vacationing with Bryan.  I like to just sit and read and relax and he can't do it.  Right after Matt left for home I said I thought it would be nice to just stay at the cabin the next day.  He agreed and said we had been pretty busy while Matt was there.  The next morning he is telling me that it would be good if we got into town and sent a birthday card off and that if we are going out anyway we should maybe go hiking. So we did a hike of about 5 miles and then we get back and he thinks maybe we should do a campfire. So we spend the evening getting the fire all set and the food ready to go down.  It was fun but I'm dismayed that this is his idea of a restful day.

Wednesday -  I am determined not to leave the cabin today;.  I get up and start a fire. This will keep Bryan busy for a while.  We read in front of it for a bit and when I can tell he is getting restless I mention that I need to make zucchini bread.  He finds some projects to do outside.  While the bread is in the oven I get into exercise clothes and get out my DVD.  He comes in and realizes he is stuck for awhile; takes the dog for a run with the mini-bike and then decides he needs to work on the mini-bike for awhile.  When he comes back in I am getting lunch ready.  After lunch I grab my cross- stitch and ensconce myself in a chair.  He gets his book and starts reading and falls asleep.  I feel sorry for him and suggest a game of horse-shoes.  He seems happier.  I guess we better go out somewhere tomorrow.
Bowser following Bryan up the trail
      
This is the low-down on Red Canyon
     Went into town and got some info on hikes.  This was a nice one that they recommended. You can hike as far as you want and join up with other trails.  We went up about 2.5 miles with an elevation gain of 1100 feet. It is just a nice steady uphill without any areas that were real steep so nothing to scary coming down.  The first 3/4 mile you travel through some nice rock fins next to Red Creek. 









Thimbleberries have giant leaves!
The berries are coming into season and huckleberry, raspberry and thimbleberry bushes and other berries are all around.  We wish we knew more about berries and which are poisonous. 















The rest of the hike takes you up to some nice areas of pine forest and alpine meadows.  We saw some wildflowers but they were past their prime. Luckily their leaves were turning into their autumn reds which made the meadows pretty but I imagine a month ago they were gorgeous and showing off all their colors and blooms.

No comments:

Post a Comment